Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Making sense of the chaos.


Sometimes you have to admit when you're wrong.


Over the past few months I've been more then a little critical of Star Wars: The Last Jedi, having gone so far as to say that Star Wars is now dead to me. However after a recent blog I authored about the upcoming release of Avengers: Infinity war, I have to admit I was wrong.

Loss is a natural part of life and is a great way to develop new story-arcs, when one door closes, another door opens, or at least that's what they say.

I have many complaints about the Rian Johnston directed Star Wars film, from Rey's "3 lessons to become a Jedi" training, to Leia's "Mary Poppins" flight through the vacuum of space, this was not a good film. 

However my single largest issue was with how they handled Jedi Master Luke SkyWalker - You don't write off such a monumental character in that fashion.

Personally I didn't want to see Luke the hermit hiding from The Force. I wanted to see Luke the seasoned Master Jedi, wise in experience and ready to wage one last battle against the Galactic Empire!

Make no mistake, given Disney and their intention to milk this franchise for everything they can, we all knew in our hearts that the original cast would make their exit, just not in the fashion that they have thus far.

However once again, loss is a natural part of life and helps to create new stories, which is why in my opinion the final scene of The Last Jedi was so important. The child pushing his broom, peering into space was a declaration that we should expect many more stories from Disney and Lucasfilm - wither we want them or not.

With that mindset I challenge you to re-watch both The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi, view them for what they truly are, the foundation for a brand new extended universe with a multitude of stories to follow.

I did just that...  and with that perspective I can now, all be it reluctantly, accept that when the next film hits theaters I'll be there ready to dish out some hard earned money to see what happens next.

It doesn't resolve the fact that these aren't great films, but it helps to make a little more sense of the chaos that is running rampant in a galaxy far, far away,

Thanks for reading, please join the conversation on our Facebook Community Page and remember to connect with us on social media via our website at cangeek.com


No comments:

Post a Comment